New Version 21.01.29: AV1 Codec Support
Jan 29, 2021
Version 21.01.29 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
- Added support for AV1 decoding and encoding.
A lot of people are unexepectedly downloading AV1 from YouTube, and this makes Shotcut comptible with those files.
(Please be aware that AV1 encoding is naturally very slow and that is not a bug.)
- Added an Advanced mode to the Properties > Convert to Edit-friendly dialog with:
- Added detection of a HDR transfer function (ITU-R BT.2020 or SMPTE ST2084) to automatically show Convert dialog.
- Added Convert to BT.709 colorspace that provides HDR-to-SDR tone mapping!
This helps a lot of people who are recording games in HDR and were surpised by the poor colors when editing in Shotcut.
- Added Deinterlace option (bwdif) that outputs one frame for each field.
- Added Override frame rate and Frame rate conversion with Blend and Motion Compensation options.
(Please be aware that Motion Compensation is very slow and that is not a bug.)
- Added Use Higher Performance Waveforms to Timeline and Keyframes menus (default on).
- Added a red outline around the thumnbail of the currently opened Playlist item.
- Added video filter Reduce Noise: Quantization.
- Added Color space and Color transfer to Properties > Video.
- Improved multi-threaded performance of video track blending and some video filters:
- Alpha Channel: View
- Chroma Key: Advanced
- Chroma Key: Simple
- Elastic Scale
- Key Spill: Advanced
- Key Spill: Simple
- Mask: Apply
- Noise: Keyframes
- White Balance
- Improved the playback speeds of fast forward and rewind to not be so fast and more usable.
- Changed Playlist to not automatically start playback when adding to the playlist of an empty project.
- Changed keyframe interpolation Discrete to Hold (simple rename).
- Changed the default option in the Convert to Edit-friendly dialog to MP4 and reduce its output size (crf).
- Finished converting Timeline, Filters, & Keyframes to Qt Quick Controls 2 API.
- Upgraded MLT to version 6.24.0 (+).
- Upgraded Qt to version 5.15.2 for Linux & Windows and 5.12.10 for macOS.
- Fixed image skewed with odd width when using certain combinations of filters and transitions (broken in v20.11).
- Fixed being unable to pick transparent black in filters with color pickers (broken in v20.11).
- Fixed some tooltips in Timeline, Filters, & Keyframes not showing on multi-monitor systems (broken in v20.10).
- Fixed Zoom in Scale, Position & Rotate does not always default and undo at 100% (broken in v20.10).
- Fixed crash with files having more than 32 multiplexed streams.
- Fixed quality-based VBR encoding with the VP8 Export > WebM preset.
- Fixed leading zeros for seconds in Timer video filter with MM:SS.SSS or SS.SSS formats.
- Fixed support for explicit fractional high DPI (e.g.
- Fixed bad text formatting when File > Open a plain text file in Text: Rich filter.
- Fixed drag-n-drop from Playlist when a project (MLT XML clip) is in Source player.
- Fixed using the numeric keypad for some shortcuts.
- Fixed selecting the same filter Preset again.
- Fixed Export File does not check for missing files.
New Version 20.11.28
Nov 25, 2020
Version 20.11.28 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
The main purpose of the 20.11 release is to address problems as a result of the major changes to our main app library
and build processes as mentioned in previous release.
- Fixed running on macOS 11.0 Big Sur.
- Fixed Properties > Reverse job always fails (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed dropping multiple files to Timeline (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed Timeline, Keyframes, and Text: Rich editor menus and drop-downs in all filters not showing on systems with multiple monitors (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed drop-downs in all filters not showing the correct value when the filter is reselected (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed appearance of Settings > Theme > System on Windows and macOS (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed text looks too big in Windows with display scale 150% (regression in v20.10).
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate filter when a size value becomes 0, possibly while editing the field (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed some library dependencies not bundled in Linux (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate distorting the aspect ratio when image width or height > 16000 (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed clicking Open in LUT filter on Linux Snap crashes (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed bad performance regression and high memory usage when automatically scrolling timeline during playback (regression in v20.09).
- Reduced memory usage on systems with more than 8 CPU threads.
- Fixed high memory usage when increase Properties > Speed large amount with Pitch Compensation on.
- Fixed showing the convert dialog twice when dropping files to Timeline.
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate filter behavior in generated slideshow.
- Fixed hiding a filter’s VUI when the playhead is not over the filtered clip.
- Fixed a possible crash when audio waveforms are updated in the background.
- Fixed simple keyframes for Stretch X & Y parameters of Corner Pin video filter.
- Fixed some of the undo buttons in the Corner Pin video filter.
- Fixed jagged edges on text in the Text: Rich editor.
- Fixed cursor disappears between some characters in the Text: Rich editor.
- Fixed proxy generation when video includes cover art/thumbnail.
- Fixed a possible crash when drag clip to empty timeline after closing a project with multiple tracks.
- Improved behavior when press enter/return in the current position timecode field.
- Made it is easier to choose opaque black in the color chooser dialogs.
- Changed numeric fields in Size, Position & Rotate and Text: Rich to require Enter, Tab, or click outside (de-focus) to apply the change. This prevents the filter going to weird or undesired sizes or positions as you enter values.
- Changed Text: Rich default size and postion to have a 10% margin inside the frame.
- Added a warning dialog when the computer is getting low on available memory.
- Added Properties > menu > Set Equirectangular….
- Added a Start Offset time parameter and Apply transform option to the 360: Stabilize video filter.
- Added a Show Grid option to the 360: Transform video filter as a visual aid.
- Added a dialog to confirm trying to add or paste filters to Timeline > Output.
- Added Move Up, Move Down, and Deselect buttons to Filters.
- Added command line option
--QT_SCALE_FACTOR_ROUNDING_POLICY that accepts values:
Round, Ceil, Floor, RoundPreferFloor, PassThrough.
The default is
Round except on Windows where it is
RoundPreferFloor, which makes it treat 150% like 100% to reduce the UI text size.
New Version 20.10.31: Qt 5.15 Upgrade
Oct 31, 2020
Version 20.10.31 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
HTML5 Removal And Qt Upgrade
In the previous version, we announced
the plan to remove the dated and deprecated HTML5 technology and related filters. Now, it has been completely removed in
order to make it easier to upgrade our core UI library Qt. This major version upgrade includes many bug and security
fixes as well as performance improvements. Linux users will notice a big improvement for high DPI display scale > 100%.
This upgrade also makes it easier for non-team members to contribute.
- Removed QtWebKit and WebVfx (HTML5 components) from all builds.
- Upgraded Qt to version 5.15.1 on Linux and Windows and version 5.12.9 on macOS.
As a result, the minimum macOS version is now 10.12.
- Updated Linux build to a Ubuntu 18.04 base (glibc version 2.27).
- Completely new Windows build based on msys2, and discontinued the 32-bit Windows build.
- Migrated Windows and Linux builds to GitHub Actions, and automated builds of AppImage and snap for Linux.
- Added Invert (reverse polarity) audio filter.
- Added showing the job progress in Windows taskbar icon. (thanks @lolametro!)
- Added Size, Position & Rotate > Zoom now works in any Size mode!
- Added Scroll to Playhead on Zoom to Keyframes menu.
- Added converting Text: HTML filters to Text: Rich.
This does not retain full fidelity, but hopefully it retains the text.
- Added using the H.264 hardware encoder if HEVC not available when Proxy > Use Hardware Encoder is on.
- Added Scroll to Playhead on Zoom option to Timeline menu.
- Added ability to change position in Size, Position & Rotate by dragging anywhere inside the rectangle while also
- Added rectangle VUI help tips for various video filters.
- Added keyboard shortcut for Center the Playhead: Ctrl+Shift+P.
- Added keyboard shortcut for Scroll to Playhead on Zoom: Ctrl+Alt+P.
- Added keyboard shortcut for rich text editor Paste Text Only: Ctr+Shift+V
- Added common preset resolutions and aspect ratios to the Add Custom Video Mode dialog.
- Improved image quality when using Size, Position & Rotate.
- Improved Text: Rich filter export on Windows and Linux when display scale is fractional (e.g. 150%).
- Improved the performance of the Fade In Video, Fade Out Video, and Brightness filters on multicore systems.
- Changed Export > Codec > Dual pass to not write a video file for the first pass.
- Removed “Shotcut” as default text in Text: Rich filter.
- Reduced memory usage in Export with many clips.
- Fixed a compatibility issue for some systems by downgrading FFmpeg to version 4.2 (regression in v20.09).
- Improved the Timeline scrolling speed and smoothness (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed time rulers hiding on vertical scroll in Timeline and Keyframes (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed Crop: Rectangle > Corner radius not exactly the same as in version 20.07 (regression in v20.09).
- Fixed Blur: Pad incorrect after splitting clip.
- Fixed moving the cursor in filter fields may move playhead.
- Fixed Filters allowed pasting filters when nothing selected.
- Fixed saving projects to Dropbox on Windows leaves temporary files.
- Fixed saving the current stock layout when switching to a custom layout.
- Fixed progress dialog appears over the convert variable frame rate dialog when dragging to Timeline.
- Fixed dropping file with comma in its name to Timeline.
- Fixed delete keyframe button in Keyframes may remove keyframe for another parameter.
- Fixed convert dialog for variable frame rate never appears if dragged directly to non-empty playlist or timeline.
- Fixed a crash dragging multiple clips to Timeline if some are variable frame rate.
- Fixed the Blur: Pad filter appearing correctly if used that option in slideshow generator.
- Fixed zooming in near end of timeline scrolls timeline backward.
- Fixed deleting all text in Text: Rich filter changes font to very small black.
- Fixed editor toolbar in Text: Rich filter usually overlays the text by default.
New Version 20.09.27
Sep 27, 2020
Version 20.09.27 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
This version fixes some major bugs in the previous version 20.09.13 and improves the usability of the new Rich Text
This is the last version to support 32-bit Windows and macOS 10.10 and 10.11.
Regressions In Version 20.09.13
- Fixed the file dialogs in various filters not openening on macOS.
- Fixed setting color alpha (opacity) to 0 in Open Other > Color and Open Other > Text.
- Fixed a possible crash when using Center bias in the Crop: Source filter.
Text: Rich Video Filter
- Fixed incorrect font size in export on Windows when the system Settings > Display > Scale
and layout is higher than 100% (High DPI).
- Fixed problems when Export > Video > Parallel processing is on.
- Added collpase & expand buttons to the editor’s toolbar.
- Added an Overflow parameter to allow text longer (taller) than the rectangle.
- Added Paste Text Only to the editor’s menu to faciliate pasting from a word processor or web browser without
applying the source formatting.
- Fixed the Scroll Up and Scroll Down presets when the background is not transparent.
- Added a Lower Third preset to Text: Rich.
- Fixed the actual workspace layout may not match the currently selected layout when restarting after a crash.
- Fixed Filters and Keyframes broken on Source clip after changing Settings > Video Mode.
New Version 20.09.13: Pad Blur and Rich Text Video Filters
Sep 13, 2020
Version 20.09.13 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
All users are encouraged to upgrade to address a security vulnerability
(CVE-2020-24619) in Shotcut’s check for a new version.
In previous versions it was not using a secure network connection making it is possible for an attacker to change the
URL to the web page containing the release notes and download link. That has been fixed in this version.
Shotcut’s HTML5-based filters – including non-obvious video filters such as Crop: Rectangle in previous versions –
were based on an old technology (QtWebKit) that we decided to remove. The technology is no longer officially supported
by its founding organization and hinders our ability to upgrade more important technology. Moreover, there were some
lingering stability bugs related to its integration that are very difficult to fix. In the previous version, some
filters were marked as “DEPRECATED” as a result of this decision, namely Text: HTML, but not Crop: Rectangle,
Crop: Circle, and Choppy. These were rewritten for this version. This new version automatically converts the
Choppy, Crop: Circle, and Crop: Rectangle video filters in an existing project to their new replacements.
Also, we added a new video filter named Text: Rich. It is not as capable as the old Text: HTML, but it should be
easier to use and manage while being more reliable. The deprecated HTML-based filters are still included in this
version, but now they are hidden. They will appear only when loading old projects that include them. This provides a
transition to the next version that actually removes these filters: You can load an old project using the deprecated
filters and replace or remove them.
Blur: Pad Video Filter
This is a new useful alternative to cropping to remove black bars from images or videos whose aspect ratio does not
match the project. It is available in the slideshow generator as Pad Blur.
Text: Rich Video Filter
The rich text editor writes directly on the video preview, has a floating toolbar, and saves itself into the project
file with no external HTML files to manage.
New Stock Layouts with Quick Switcher
- Replaced View > Layout > Timeline Project with new, better Logging, Editing, FX, Color, Audio, and Player stock (pre-defined) layouts.
- The current layout is saved automatically for each stock layout if selected, and Restore Default Layout is different for each stock layout.
- Added a workspace layout switcher to the main toolbar for the new stock workspace layouts.
Shotcut has had a named layout system and switching in the View menu for a while now, but the stock layouts were
lacking imagination. Taking inspiration from some other tools, we add new ones
Other New Things
- Added Zoom to fit icons to the Timeline and Keyframes toolbars. Thanks to @Namna for this contribution.
- Added a VUI to the 360: Transform video filter to adjust parameters by dragging inside the player.
- Added Set Equirectangular Projection… to the Jobs menu for a successful export job. This is used to add metadata to a video file to indicate it is 360॰ video in the equirectangular projection as required by most players and web services. We thank
Varol Okan for the code we used to add this.
- Improved the performance of the Timeline especially with projects over one hour long.
- Changed Size and Position to Size, Position & Rotate and made Rotate and Scale hidden (only appears in old projects).
- Replaced Choppy, Crop: Circle, and Crop: Rectangle filters with new versions that do not use HTML through WebVfx, which was deprecated in version 20.06.28.
- Changed the Rutt-Etra-Izer, Swirl, and Text: 3D filters to be hidden since they are deprecated (still loads in old projects).
- Changed the video track hidden icon on the System theme to be more clear and obvious.
- Show an error dialog on startup if the frei0r plugins are not installed (only affects Linux distribution packages).
- Changed the keyboard shortcut 0 to zoom timeline to fit.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut Alt+0 to zoom playlist to fit.
- Changed the Timeline and Keyframes time ruler interval to 1 second when zoomed in.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 4.3.1.
- Fixed using a secure connection to get the upgrade URL.
- Fixed a rounding error for Color Grading video filter.
- Fixed a crash and incorrect preview scaling with more than one Rotate and Scale or Size and Position filter.
- Fixed colors when using an alpha/VP8 or alpha/VP9 export preset.
- Fixed video compositing with nothing on video track V1 or V1 hidden.
- Fixed export may fail when using extended (non-Latin-1) characters in path.
- Fixed EDL export.
- Fixed Export, Convert, or Reverse may fail if a temporary file it creates becomes locked on Windows.
- Fixed Properties > Color button not opening the color dialog with the current color.
- Fixed the Crop: Source video filter when using Settings > Proxy.
- Fixed a crash when dragging a MLT XML project file to a non-empty Timeline.
- Fixed the font dialog may too big or the preview inside the font dialog too big for the Text: Simple filter.
- Fixed filters not being applied to the portion of a clip inside a transition after undo of Cut, Lift, Remove, Ripple Delete, or move.
- Fixed a crash changing speed of a clip with non-standard non-integer or variable frame rate.
- Fixed some dialogs not opening or staying in the foreground.
- Fixed some crashes in timeline overwrite mode.
- Fixed clicking the filters icon next to Output not opening the filters panel.